I love multi-functional bags. To me, a versatile bag with multiple uses / looks make the cost of the bag more justifiable. I have wanted a wallet on a chain for a while and narrowed it down to Ferragamo Miss Vara Clutch wallet and the Prada wallet on a chain. Since my brother was in Florence for a school trip, had to take advantage of the great US to Euro exchange rate and the VAT returns!
My brother sent me various pictures of the color options and we decided on the black, gold trimmed clutch wallet. (Note: T-Mobile users, text and data are free in Italy!) Unfortunately once I saw the wallet, the gold trimming was too “much”. I ended up exchanging for the standard clutch wallet in a Ferragamo store in the US. This is more of an everyday, casual bag that is classic and I can see myself using when I am 50 years old (although I hope that day takes its sweet time to come).
Okay enough of the background story, hopefully this review / discussion will be helpful if you are looking for a clutch wallet or considering this bag!
Details on the Bag:
- 7 card slots
- Two bill compartments
- One large compartment secured with a buckle
- One internal back pocket
- One detachable gold chain
- Saffiano leather is extremely durable and scratch resistant
- Multiple ways to wear the clutch and can be used as a wallet with a bigger bag (reference pictures below)
- The simple design makes this bag classic and elegant
- There is a “puff” to the leather giving it a slight beautiful shine
- Elastic material on the Vara bow is holding up (no fuzzing up or dis-figuring)
- The large compartment is super useful! I have a pack of tissues, a mini Altoids mint, Nivea lip balm, random reward cards and sometimes a lipstick or my keys
- Bag is appropriate day and night!
- Light-weight and very convenient
- Limited color / hardware selection (this bag is relatively new, as its popularity increases, I expect the color selection to increase as well!)
- No coin compartment (although I could use the large compartment for coins, it would be noisy and some coins might sneak out)
- The small gold plate between the Vara bow is scratchable (I currently have a minor scratch but it is not as scratchable as the LV gold plates)
- The large compartment with snap closure is often off by a little so I have to hold the top and bottom of the bag, match the buckles then snap it shut (note, this could only be my bag!)
Five Different Ways to Wear Miss Vara Clutch Wallet:
1. Crossbody – This is my favorite way to wear this bag. It is my go-to style in the winter when I have a large coat and would like to keep my hands warm in my coat pockets!
2. Over the Shoulder, Single Loop – Without the single loop, the bag would sit low when I wear it over the shoulder, so I wrap the gold strap around the flap one time. This creates the perfect length and I love the look of the additional gold strap on top of the bag, perfect with a casual summer outfit!
3. Hand Held / Over the Shoulder, Double Strap – This bag can be worn with a double strap by making one loop over the flap and pulling the two straps so it is the same length.
4. Wallet – Of course, the gold strap can be removed or stored in the internal back pocket so you can use it as a wallet.
5. Clutch, Triple Strap – My cousin’s wedding is in a month and I plan to wear the clutch with the triple gold strap. A very elegant style in my opinion!
I adore this bag so so much. It will be a fabulous travel bag, I can put my passport and other travel documents in the large compartment. It is also a carefree weekend shopping / grocery run bag, both of your hands will be free to carry other items.
Thoughts on bag comparisons:
Miss Vara Clutch Wallet vs. Miss Vara Flap Bag
I have been considering the Miss Vara flap bag for a couple of years before the clutch wallet became available. Between these two, here are four simple reasons why I picked the Miss Vara Clutch Wallet:
- Design: I prefer the “rectangular” side profile of the clutch wallet over flap bag’s “trapezoidal” shape. Also I prefer the flap of the clutch wallet covering the full base rather than the flap bag’s three-quarters way. Overall, I think the clutch wallet has a more sleek and “clean” look.
- Functionality: Although you can use flap bag in multiple ways as well, I really like the ability for the clutch wallet to simply be a wallet for every day use (however, if you need to carry around more items, the flap bag might be the better option).
- Craftmanship: The biggest turnoff for the flap bag is the glue on the edges of the bags. It’s just not done well enough and diminishes the beauty of the bag (in my opinion). On the other hand, the leather on the clutch wallet is either folded or sewn, resulting in much cleaner lines.
- Inside Material: The clutch wallet is mostly leather on the inside, with the exception of the back pocket’s cloth lining. The flap bag is mostly cloth-lined inside (often unattractive lining colors).
Overall, I think the clutch wallet is a better looking bag and more functional. However, the color selection, size and magnetic closure of the flap bag could make it more fitting for others. Of course, I have been lusting over the Miss Vara flap bag for years so I like the bag too (just the clutch wallet more!)
This decision was much harder. Both bags are made of saffiano leather, which fits the durability I was seeking. I love the thinness of the Prada wallet on chain and wanted the pink color! However, the double snap closure turned me off (yes I can be very lazy). Additionally, I already owned a Prada bag and wanted to have a Ferragamo in my collection. Plus, I have heard Ferragamo bags are better built than Prada bags. Also, have also been stalking the Prada WOC for a couple of years and when I first considered the bag a couple years back, the price was ~$650 and now, the price is $830!!! I just can’t get over the annoying thought of having to pay almost $200 extra for the same bag!
I do have to confess though…the pink Prada is still calling for me. I love the thinness and color of the wallet but I will likely buy the wallet instead of the WOC.
Apologies for this long post! I read every word of blogs and PurseForm reviews before I purchase any bag so I try to be as comprehensive as possible. If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know!